This is Home style food … actually soul It has flavor of the hung curd ,onions and dhania paste … Onions and Hung curd make the curry silky and dhania paste make more aromatic … Though one can add some almond paste and cream … But when home some home style cooking … Though this is also made in Dum … Chicken does not take much time to cook … so try to use less of water as much as possible … Let Chicken cook into ghee and release it own fat … Cooking time just 45 minutes in Dum also …
- Chicken Prefer just the legs : 12 leg pieces
- Medium-sized onions (sliced): 3
- Hung curd : 1 cup
- Ginger paste: 2 tbsp
- Garlic paste: 3 tbsp
- Red chilli powder: 1.5 tsp
- Almonds: 10
- Cashew nuts: 5
- bay leaves ( Tej Patta ): 2
- Green cardamon : 3
- Cloves: 5
- Black cardamom (big): 1
- Whole peppercorns: 12
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder: ½ tsp
- Mace (optional): 2 blades
- Coriander leaves (paste): ¼ cup
- Red fresh chillies: 4
- Salt to taste
- Ghee : 1 tsp
- Water: 1 cups
- Marinate the chicken overnight with yogurt, 1.5 tsp salt, ginger-garlic paste and red chilli powder. Heat 3 tbsp oil till it starts to smoke. Reduce the heat to medium and fry onions (cut lengthwise and thin) till these become golden brown. Remove the fried onions from oil, cool at room temperature and make a fine paste.
- Soak the nuts in a little water (just enough to immerse them) overnight as well. Next morning, make a fine paste.
- Heat the rest of the oil to its smoking point at then reduce the flame to medium once again. Add the dried bay leaves, green cardamon pods, cloves, black cardamom and whole peppercorns to this. After the bay leaves turn a little darker (not black, but dark brown), add the marinated chicken along with the marinade. Increase the flame to high and toss the chicken pieces continuously, so that the chicken becomes well-coated with the spices and the marinade becomes almost dry. This takes around 15 min.
- Reduce the flame to medium now. Add the fried onion paste, mace (optional), turmeric powder, black pepper powder and the nut paste to the skillet and toss well for 15 min .
- Add the coriander leaf paste and the red or green fresh chillies (whole) to this. Cook till the chicken is almost dry and oil starts leaving from the the spices and the chicken. Now is the time to add the ghee.
- Add water and stir well. Check the salt and add more, if needed. Simmer the gas and put a well-fitting lid on the skillet. For best results, seal the edges with wheat flour dough to ensure that the steam can’t escape from the skillet. Let this cook on a low flame for 30 more minutes. This slow-cooking called dum is a great way to cook even in home .
Serve with Rice … I like gravies with Rice … aroma and texture of Gravy or Curry comes out more with simple Rice or Pullao …