In last Few Months , we tried to learn about history of Food served on Dastarkhan by Royal Khansamas … There are many more dishes in Mughlai or Awadhi , But then India is big country and food changes every 50 km in India … So need to go our next stops . As Music has its own gharana’s , Food also has its Gharana … Next Few days we are going get relish and know all about Banarasi food .
“Benaras is older than history, older than tradition, older even than legend and looks twice as old as all of them put together.”
~ Mark Twain
Banaras or Varanasi … is a place where Hindus find their moksh , music is soul , Banarasi sarees are said to be purest and every Hindu Girl would adorn herself with Banarasi saree for the wedding – Red coloured Banaris saree … With that Banaras has its own flavor of Food …
So Today we are picking one of most simplest , It is seen in Kashmir too , But this has different flavor … Dum allo … Poor man’s diet of POTATO , another Rich form of POTATO , BANARASI DUM ALLO …
The difference of Kashmiri Dum allo and Banarasi Dum allo is just small and that is big diifference – Potatoes have a stuffing inside which makes it more luxurious
- 8 medium sized Potatoes
- 100 gms Paneer / Cottage cheese
- 1 tsp Kasoori methi/ Fenugreek
- 2 Kali mirch/ Black pepper
- 1 medium sized Onion
- 1 medium sized Tomatoes
- 8-10 Cashew nuts paste
- 4 tbsp Tomato puree
- 2 tbsp Cream
- Salt to taste
- 2 Kashmiri lal mirch/ chilli powder
- 1tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/3 tsp Haldi/ Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Dhania powder
- 1 tsp Whole spices
- Boil the potatoes for one whistle. Then let it cool down, once they are cooled, peel them and scoop for stuffing.
- Deep fry these potatoes and keep them aside. Also mash the paneer and mix it with salt and pepper. Stuff the potatoes with this masala.
- For the gravy, heat 1 spoon oil in a kadhai. Put in the whole spices, then add in the roughly chopped onion and mix. Next, add the chopped tomatoes, cashew paste and fry well for 2-3 minutes. After this time, turn off the stove and let it cool. Once cooled, make a puree of this mixture.
- Once again, heat oil in kadhai and fry some onion in it. Add in the kashmiri lal mirch and the puree together, saute this mixture and cook.
- Put in salt, red chilli powder, haldi, dhania powder and cook till the oil separates itself. Then add in the kasoori methi.
- Next, put in the tomato puree and adjust the gravy thickness as per taste. Let this cook for 4-5 minutes then add in the cream. Turn off the stove and instantly add in the fried potatoes.
- Serve warm with pooris for best taste.