Pulao is of Persian origin. In India, the corrupt Hindustani word is Pulav. Pilaf is another common name used in India.
Historically, mutton was cooked in water with aromatic spices. Once the meat was cooked, rice and more water were added to finish cooking. Along with rice, it was not uncommon to include split skinless Moong beans, cracked wheat, or Chana Dal. In a way, the Rice, Legumes, and Grains were cooked in meat broth. The broth with yogurt was called Yakhni.
For vegetarians, plane water and aromatic spices are used to cook Vegetables and Rice together. It lacks the flavors of meats. Generally, dried fruits and fried nuts are added. In North India, normally Pilaf refers to a Vegetarian Pulao.
Biryani in Farsi means ‘fry before cooking’. To make Biryani, mutton is fried in ghee and par-cooked (Cooked half way). Separately, the Rice is fried in Ghee, and par-cooked (Cooked half way). The rice and meat were layered (cluster of rice on top of cluster of meat) in a cookware called Handi. The Handi is sealed with dough. It is Dum cooked (baked) on low heat.
So When this type of cooking transcended in Banarasi cuisine , nobody has any answers … But Yes kathal ka Pulav or Kathal Pilaf is one delicacy . There is no use of Onions and Garlic … JUST SATVIK ..
- Rice-1.5 cup
- Jack fruit /kathal-3 cup
- Tomato, chopped-1.5 cup
- Yogurt /Dahi -3/4 cup
- Cooking oil -3 tbsp
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 2 tsP
- Mint leaves,chopped -2 tbsp
- Fresh coriander- 1.5 tbsp
- Green chili paste- 1 tsp
- Red chili powder- 2 tsp
- Coriander powder- 2 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala- 1 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Milk-3 tbsp
- Saffron-few strands
- Cloves /Laung-4
- Green Cardamom /Elaichi-4
- Bay leaf/Tejpatta-2
- Cinnamon /Dalchini-1 inch
- Star anise/Phool chakri -1
- Jackfruit marinade–Apply some oil on your hands and on the knife and peel the jack fruit skin and remove the center part.
- Chop jackfruit in small pieces and peel and chop the seeds.
- In the pressure cooker add 1 glass of water,1/2 tsp turmeric,1/2 tsp salt and chopped jackfruit and cook till done (about 2 whistles,depend on the quality and size of jackfruit)
- Drain the jackfruit and gently squeeze out the water.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and shallow fry the jack fruit pieces for 2 minutes.
- Take the jackfruit in a bowl and add garam masala, chili powder, lemon juice and yogurt .
- Mix well and cover the bowl and let it marinate for 20 minutes.
- Warm milk and add crushed saffron in it.
- Rice–Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes.
- Boil enough water in a big pan add the whole spices,1 tsp salt and the soaked rice and cook al dente.
- Drain the boiled rice on a colander and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of ghee and 3 tbsp of oil in a pan.
- Add 1 bayleaf,1 tsp jeera ,green chili paste ,chopped tomato and salt.
- Cover and cook till tomato become soft.
- Now add the marinated jackfruit (along with the marinade) in the pan and saute till oil start separating.
- Add chopped mint,coriander, pinch of cardamom powder and boiled rice in the pan.
- Mix properly and sprinkle saffron milk on it .
- Cover the pan with a tight lid and simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
- Serve hot with yogurt, papad and pickle.