Harissa is a spicy and aromatic chile paste that’s a widely used staple in North African and Middle Eastern cooking.
Harissa recipes vary between countries and regions, but a standard version includes a blend of hot chile peppers (which are often smoked), garlic, olive oil and spices, like cumin, coriander, caraway and mint. Tomatoes and rose petals are also common ingredients.
Even if you love spicy food, harissa packs quite a punch. A little goes a long way.
Where to Find Harissa
Harissa is most commonly found ready-made in jars, tubes and cans. A spice powder version is also available. In India , Veeba has launched its range of Dressing / dips / sauces (veeba.in)… I picked the Veeba Harissa dressing from nearest Grocery Mart … Though It is Salad dressing But I had used it as Marination … Dressing are high on Oil and Flavor , Hence it is valuable to use as Marination sauce … If a Marination sauce is readily available , then cooking is easy …
So if you donot have any thing house , If you have any Veeba sauces or Salad Dressing use it for Marination …
Here is the Recipe for Kebab lovers – Harissa Chicken Skewers … Try making it at Home … It’s easy …
- Harissa Dressing By Veeba
- Harissa Paste
- Chipotle Dressing By Veeba
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and Pepper
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Mint Leaves ( Pudina )
- 1/2 Cup of Hung curd
- Cut chicken breasts into bite sized pieces.
- Toss with 4 spoons of the harissa Dressing , Harissa Paste and Chipolte sauce with some chopped min leaves ( Pudina) . Mint leaves would balance the heat of Harissa paste . If you want add some Yogurt with the marination to give little more texture . Refrigerate 30 minutes, or up to overnight.
- Once you’re ready to cook, thread the chicken onto skewers. Depending on the size of your skewers, you will need 3-5 skewers. You don’t want to crowd the chicken.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place chicken skewers on grill.
- Cook until chicken is cooked through, turning a few times, about 10-12 minutes total.
- Serve with a Veeba dipping sauce.