Hyderabadi Bhindi Ka Shorba or bhindi gosht kadhi is an authentic Hyderabadi recipe made with mutton adding into lady’s finger / bhindi /okra. It is made using the combination of bhindi(okra) and mutton or meat. Bhindi Gosht Recipe is a very tangy dish as it has got the tangy flavor of the tamarind pulp. This is one of the popular dishes in Hyderabadi cuisine usually made with okra and mutton added to it. In variation of mughlai dishes , meat or mutton is usually added to most of the veggies. The flavor of the curry stands out with the flavor of mutton into it and also makes the dish very juicy. Bhindi Gosht recipe is always made with mutton in Hyderabad / Awadh . In Hyderabad to get some tangy taste to it tamarind extracted pulp is added.
Bhindi is the most used vegetable in every household and one should try to make it as often as possible as it is good for health and also a tasty vegetable when made into any form of dish.
- 750gm washed meat or mutton / Lamb cut into pieces ( Chap pieces I prefer )
- 4 tbsp Ghee
- 2 medium size onions finely sliced
- 2-3 medium size tomatoes finely chopped ( I prefer Tomato Puree )
- salt as per taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 3 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/ 2 cups tamarind extracted pulp
- ½ kg okra/bhindi cut into pieces
- 3-4 slit green chillies
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
- 1 tsp garam masala /Mutton Masala powder
- Papaya paste
- Onion Juice
Marination of Mutton :
Marinate Mutton 30 minutes before cooking … To tenderize the Mutton/ Lamb , mix with Papaya paste / Onion Juice / little of Yogurt / Salt to taste / Pepper / Ginger Garlic . If you marinate with papaya paste and Onion juice , Donot need to cook in Pressure Cooker else in Dum it would take 1 hr for Mutton to get tender .
- In a wok or kadhai , add Ghee , add sliced onions, saute well till transparent.
- Add slit green chillies, add ginger garlic paste, saute till the raw smell disappears.
- Add mutton into it and roast it well until a change in color appears.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, mix and cook the masala well for two minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook until tomatoes get soft.
- Add very little of water and cook the mutton/ Lamb until it gets tenderised under dum . Use dough to seal the Wok or Kadhai
- Add tamarind pulp, add okra/bhindi, add coriander leaves, garam masala powder and cook everything until bhindi gets soft .
- Now Add Mutton Masala Powder and Garnish with Ginger and Mint Leaves
- Serve it with rotis or rice.
Rice flour paste or Chickpea flour paste can be added into the dish to make it more tasty and thick.